Professional Tax for Central and State Government Employees in Tamil Nadu 2018-19
Professional Tax Rates has been revised for 2018-19 in Tamil Nadu
Tax on Profession, trade, calling and employment.
1) “Employee” means a person employed on salary and includes,
1) a Government servant receiving pay from the revenue of the Central Government or any State Government;
2) a person in the service of a body whether incorporated or not, which is owned or controlled by the Central Government or any State Government, where, such body operates within the municipal limit even though its headquarters may be outside the municipal limit; and
3) a person engaged in any employment by an employer not covered by sub-clauses (i) and (ii);
2) “employer” in relation to an employee earning any salary on a regular basis under his means, the person or the officer who is responsible for disbursement of such salary and includes the head of the office or any establishment as well as the Manager or Agent of the employer;
3) “half-year” shall be from the 1st day of April to the 30th day of September and from the 1st day of October to the 31st day of March of a year;
4) “month” means a calendar month;
5) “person” means any person who is engaged actively or otherwise in any profession, trade, calling or employment in the State of
Tamil Nadu and includes a Hindu undivided family, firm, company, corporation or other corporate body, any society, club, body of persons or association, so engaged, but does not include any person employed on a casual basis;
6) “Tax” means the tax on profession, trade, calling and employment levied under this Chapter.
Levy of Profession tax :
1) There shall be levied by the Municipal Council a tax on profession, trade calling and employment.
2) Every company which transacts business and every person, who is engaged actively or otherwise in any profession, trade, calling or employment with in the Town Panchayat on the first day of the half-year for which return is filed, shall pay half-yearly tax at the rates specified in the Table below in such manner as may be prescribed:
Professional Tax: Tax on Profession, trade, calling and employment. Government servant receiving pay from the revenue of the Central Government or any State Government. Profession Tax Collectable from the salary of August (Ist Quarter ) and January (IInd Quarter)
|Sl. No.||Average Half-Yearly Income(Rs.)||Half-Yearly Old Tax Rates w.e.f.1.10.2008 (Rs)||Half-Yearly New Tax Rates w.e.f. 1.4.2018 (Rs)|
|1||Up to 21,000||–||–|
|2||21,001 – 30,000||100||135|
|3||30,001 – 45,000||235||315|
|4||45,001 – 60,000||510||690|
|5||60,001 – 75,000||760||1025|
|6||75,001 and above||1095||1250|